Be a good neighbor by the following steps to prevent bears from
becoming bad neighbors:
- Do not set out or store food near open windows.
- Keep barbeque grills clean and as free from drippings as possible.
Move the grill away from your house when not in use
- Set up bird feeders away from your house.
- Do not leave pet food outside.
- Keep garbage bins near the inside wall of a garage, basement or
- Store trash in air-tight containers in a secure area.
- Place food waste in air-tight containers and place in trash container
on disposal day.
- Put garbage out the day of disposal not the night before.
- Wash garbage containers with disinfectant solution at least once a
week to eliminate odors
- Do not feed bears!! Bears that are fed intentionally or
unintentionally learn to associate food with people. These bears are
For more information read
Living with California Brown
What to Do About Black Bears.